Getting Wet and Humid at Chatuchak Weekend Market

So I arrived at Bangkok last Saturday at 11-ish. Just as I was expected, the city was so hot and humid. Right after I stepped out from Don Muang International Airport, I dropped sweat. Anyway, fast forward to one hour after I failed at putting on my falsies, together with my friend, we went to Chatuchak Weekend Market. I read on several travel blogs that it was one of the top market that we had to visit.

From the station near our hostel, Phaya Thai, we went straight to Mo Chit by BTS. I love how the market was located very close to the BTS Station. We could walk in just a minute to arrive at Chatuchak Weekend Market.

Posing at the entrance of Chatuchak Weekend Market (photo by me)

But because it was literally 12 pm, it was bloody hot. The sun shone too bright. I felt like the heat was spread equally into every surface of my body. But I was fortunate though, because the wind was cool. Last year I remember on Pattaya, not only the weather was humid, there was also heat wave which was really uncomfortable.

We were starving when we arrived. But we’re struggling to find the Chatuchak Weekend Market. After walking while trying to beat the heat, we found the market.

The market was huge! They literally sold everything. Be it clothes, food, souvenirs, etc. I wasn’t tempted to buy anything though since it was too hot and the last thing I want to do is being exposed to the sun even more while trying to shop.

But I, who was already very thirsty did stop at one stall to buy cold drink. I bought a Thai milk tea, which legit only cost me 20 baht, or around 8k rupiah. It was refreshing. And the most important one, didn’t hurt my very sensitive throat, which I very much appreciate.

When we’re casually walking, suddenly someone shot us water. I was so confused. Was this a thing in here? Was someone casually shooting a water gun at random person is okay? But as we keep on walking, there’s even more people who shot us with water gun.

Turned out, there was a Songkran festival! I honestly still wasn’t sure about that celebration, but it was pretty much a Thailand’s new year (if I’m not mistaken). So when we’re shot by the water, it meant good luck for us.

Even when we’re trying to find street food stall, the waitress we’re jokingly trying to flush us with a glass of water. Which I, of course, reflectively reacted with a loud scream saying “NOOO.”

We then ate at that street food stall. Again, the weather was extremely humid. Sweat was definitely pouring down from every pore of mine. Luckily (well I guess), we got seated at a counter right beside the huge fan. So while we’re eating, huge wind was there accompanying us. Although the fan was dirty and the wind was pretty hot, it was better than feeling stuffy with no air circulation I suppose.

Affordable yumminess! (photo by me)

Because I’ve been a living plant based diet for the past 3 years, I tried to find all veggie food. And there was! It was pretty cheap as well. With 60 Baht (approximately 24k rupiah) I was able to shove down the plant based meal. My meal was pretty much a mix of every vegetables they had. I didn’t know what they were all, but it was good and made me full.

My friend, on the other hand was a bit worried. Since it was a street food stall, there were no ‘halal’ sign. So although they ordered chicken meat, they still weren’t sure about the oil and other ingredients that were used for the meals. Especially when they accidentally saw huge animal feet, which they thought was pork feet, hanging on the front of street food stall. They really lost their appetite when they saw that.

After finishing our meal, we head back to the front of Chatuchak Market. It was, once again, too hot. So we decided to get out from there and go to our next destination which was Chocolate Ville. On our way, we took some photos and videos to, of course, keep the memories.

Let's not forget about this guy who keep on looking at me posing. Lol (photo by me)

Not to mention though, on our way back more people keep shooting us with water gun. I wasn’t complaining because it was a pretty fresh water to somehow cool off our body temperatures from the heat.

Chatuchak weekend market, you’re good!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Fakta Seru Venesia yang Sering Banjir

Ruangan Paling Sepi di Dunia yang Bikin Pingsan

Review Buruk OYO Hotel Apartemen Enviro Cikarang